Monday, November 10, 2008

Ch. 7 Reflection: Databases

I have a hard time with the idea that all information in the form of cellulose technology, i.e. stored on paper, should become a part of an electronic database. As much as I already understand about technology and the systems that keep internet and digital technologies viable, I can not help but entertain the cynical idea that some day it might all fall out from under our feet and leave us with nothing. This idea can be likened to the advances in music recording that have taken us from vinyl records to mp3 files. Something that was once in a very tangible form—and a form that is much less convenient to store in large quantities—is now a file name on your computer that occupies very little space. Sure a record can be broken, damaged, and bulky to store…but when your computer crashes and wipes out your hard drive, you are let with no music at all, you have lost it all.

Who’s to say that digitizing paper records and storing them all in electronic databases is really better than cellulose tech considering the potential for losing that information? Certainly the LOC has its information backed up in incredible redundancy, even still, there is something more trustworthy to me about the paper product itself. I suppose that is the very human part of me, that relies on touch to know something is real and true, expressing itself.

“That is, curriculum should include sequences in which the creation of a database leads to spreadsheet formation and graphs which in turn leads to word processor activity which in turn may lead back to changes in the database and spreadsheet.” (Houghton) How do you convince teachers that these are technology elements they need to be fully integrating into their already overloaded curriculum? I can see the benefit because I am a student in this class, I can even imagine a lesson structure that would appropriately link these types of information organizing tools. But, what about everyone else? At the school where I work this is not happening. Maybe a teacher will use a spreadsheet-to-graphing assignment once in a year, and more likely there is use of word processing programs in isolation. But, again, how can the 21st century literacy skills related to using databases, spreadsheets, and word processing all together honestly be integrated into what is already happening in the classroom? More teacher training? More testing, and holding teachers accountable? I have a hard time believing that in my teaching career I will really see this full on integration across classrooms and content areas. That’s the realist in me. Granted I only plan to teach for less than a decade, so maybe in several decades it will take hold, but not yet. With so many schools that don’t even have internet access for all classrooms, or enough computers for each student to work individually, how can teachers realistically be expected to incorporate lessons with all of these technology elements?

Curriculum standards from NCSS (National Council on Social Studies) ask: What can we learn from the past about how new technologies result in broader social change, some of which is unanticipated? I think this question is essential to ask our students as they become further enmeshed in an ever-increasing technology-based society. What are the implications of all of this? Does it matter that digital forms have taken over cellulose forms of technology? How is it a benefit to society and how is it disadvantageous? These conversations can bring to the forefront of students’ minds the reality in which they live compared to the past from which they were produced. These are conversations not just for the social studies classrooms; I could see myself bringing up similar questions in my science classes.

Reviewing the Encyclopedia of World Problems and Human Potential website makes me think how strange it would be to produce databases of information that are so appropriately complimentary. The first which address the problems of the world seems depressing to think of, however it is inspiring to think of the second which highlights human potential. I like the idea of linking these to each other, finding the element of human potential that will be key in solving a particular problem. I see this information as useful though can not necessarily think of how I would apply it in my classroom. I would for sure start with the more positive database on human potential. They are both great examples of the power of databases to present salient information to the public.

Finally, this chapter introduced me for the first time to Mail Merge. This tool is exceptionally useful. I previously thought of it as only the tool used to get the right addresses on the right envelopes, and I have never had a use for that kind of tool. I did not realize its further reaching ability to take a database and create individualized letter from a form letter. I also did not realize how easy it would be to use. In thinking about lessons that would encourage students to make their own databases I am please by the idea of having the final product involve Mail Merge. I am certain my students are unfamiliar with this tool and can see the potential of its use to them in the future.

No comments: